In this painting guide I will describe how I painted General Zod.
Paint list (from scale colour unless specified)
- Abyssal blue
- Arctic blue
- Black leather
- Brown leather
- Caribbean blue
- Arctic blue
- White sands
- Coelia greenshade (citadel)
The model was prepared by spraying with black primer. I then applied a coat of black paint to ensure all of the surface was covered with an even coat.
Using an airbrush I applied a colour gradient over the model from overhead. With each colour I reduced the area of application.
- abyssal blue
- abyssal blue and caribbean blue 1:1 mix
- abyssal blue and caribbean blue 1:2 mix
- caribbean blue and arctic blue 1:1 mix
A wash of diluted coellia greenshade was applied neatly over the entire model.
- The cape was shaded with a mix of abyssal blue and black
- Black was applied to the deepest recesses.
- The first highlight was a mix of abyssal blue and caribbean blue. This is primarily to clean the surface of any roughness resulting from the wash.
- A mix of caribbean blue, arctic blue and a touch of abyssal blue is applied sparingly to the sharpest edges of the cape.
The armour was shaded with a mix of black and brown leather. This was applied to the parts of the armour facing towards the ground only.
The armour was highlighted with a series of edge highlights. As before each colour was applied to a smaller area. Given the size of the armour plates it's not necessary to be too precise and the lines can be sharpened at a later stage.
- the first was an highlight over all edges of caribbean blue.
- the next highlight was done with arctic blue and was applied mostly to the upper edges and other prominent edges.
- the next highlight was done with white sands picking out upper edges and corners.
Before applying the final highlight I used a mix of abyssal blue and black to paint the undersuit and out line the armour plates. I also applied this mix to increase the shading of the individual plates.
The final highlight was a sparing application of white to the brightest points of the armour.
The finished model:
This method can also be used on the other members of Zod's team.